6/13/2010

Making Bread

Those who know me know how I like to eat -- and cook.  I like old fashioned foods -- I make my own food products whenever possible, without the use of manufactured ingredients (tortillas, sauces, jam, relish, mayo, apple butter, pickles, etc).  I'm not a zealot about this, but where I can, I do.  I've been learning to bake bread.  You realize a loaf of good bread costs $4 or more?  Hey, I can make a loaf for less than a buck -- and it is better, healthier even, than anything you can buy in a store!

So far, I've tried my hand at basic white (meh!), mustard-rye, light whole wheat, 10 grain, Italian-rye and French.  There was also a loaf of great cracked wheat in there somewhere.  I am Bob's Red Mill's new best friend!

I have learned about yeast.  Many recipes call for the dry ingredients to be mixed together with the yeast -- but for this to work, you have to use the right kind of yeast.  If you don't, it may not activate properly (even if good) and the bread will not rise.  So even if the recipe doesn't call for it, I soak the yeast and proof it if I haven't been using it already (I buy the yeast in bulk form, not individual packages -- so if it is good today, it is likely still good tomorrow.  So I don't always have to proof it.)  You can substitute other types of yeast than the recipe calls for, you just adjust the process to accommodate the differences.  This is pretty easy, fortunately.

I have begun adding a small amount of gluten flour to my breads.  It seems to have a beneficial effect on the texture of the bread.  I am not afraid of gluten.


At first, I thought it wouldn't hurt anything to let the bread rise longer than necessary.  I want a BIG rise, right?  Well, if it rises too long, then the structure gets weak inside, and the bread falls when you bake it.  What a drag! The problem is somewhat akin to stretching a rubber band too much -- stretch a rubber band too far and it snaps, but if you don't overdo it, then it holds its tensile strength and stays flexible much longer.  Same with bread gluten and rising.  So I am careful to watch it closely and not let it sit too long.  You can, if you do screw it up and wait too long, punch it down and let it rise again.  Although there is no punching, really.  I gently fold the dough and press it lightly with my fingers.  This is the kinder, gentler way of kneading and forming bread dough.


I use a stainless steel baking sheet to knead the dough.  Most recipes, I do not even have to flour it too much (whereas if I use a wooden board for kneading, it seems to absorb flour like CRAZY!)


One thing I haven't tried yet is sour dough.  Perhaps I will try making a "starter" soon.  But I am not quite ready to master that technique yet.  Soon.  Very soon.


I am learning more with each loaf I make -- certainly not an expert yet but I am learning.  Mom said stop making all this bread -- we can't eat it all!  My sister's chickens are the beneficiaries of the excess -- after it is too old for me to eat it -- they are not nearly so picky.  I have had some spectacular failures.

But I have found that making bread is not nearly the inconvenient and lengthy process that I remembered from earlier attempts.  I actually look forward to the next attempt each time. There is a certain amount of waiting involved while things soak or rise -- but other than kneading for 8 or 10 minutes it isn't that bad.  The process of creating the bread is therapeutic.  And the eating is good.  I can't think of anything better than a slice of fresh home-made bread, with butter and my own home-made blackberry jam slathered on it.





This is a loaf of my Cracked Wheat and 10-Grain, still warm...

I am hungry.  I am going to the kitchen.


2 comments:

Ron said...

Absolutely beautiful bread and muffin. My tummy just growled!

Ron said...

Just for the record, Ron did not write the previous comment ('twas Micky) and certainly never uses the word "tummy" - that being said, I agree, the bread does indeed look... appetizing.