3/16/2011

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

I am not Irish -- not at all I don't think.  I suppose there could be a little bit o'Irish blood in there somewhere.  But like all English with a conscience, and given my relation with the Irish through the Scot side of my family, I always celebrate the Irish holiday with the best of 'em, having a certain amount of brotherly feelin' for my lovely Irish brothers and sisters... and lovin' a hornpipe or a jig the way I do, as I sit here listening to the Chieftains...  it's the music, friend, it's the music.

So on this St. Patrick's Day, 2011, would that I were in Dublin or Glengarriff, I'll tip a wee dram o' whisky in your honor, and offer an Irish benediction...

May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the Lord's breeze soothe ye
May your path be smooth
your load light and easy

May there be no stones in your fields
May your bed be soft
your rest deeply peaceful
May love be your companion

And may ye be in heaven a half-hour
before the devil knows you’re dead

Éirinn go brách!

Love,
Uncle Bob Schaller Pruitt Stonebreaker McKinney

1 comment:

pdxangel1 said...

Uncle Bob, I just discovered your blog today and drooled over your Buttermilk Bread recipe (which I'm going to try) and especially your journey to the William Swain farm in Youngstown. It well may be that we are cousins, as I am directly descended from the Swains through William's half-sister Rebecca. I've been working on their history for the past week and wanted so much to learn more, and up popped your blog! You've enabled me to visit that location and see how beautiful it still looks today through your lovely photographs.

I'm ALSO Scottish, English, and Irish, (happpy belated St. Patty's Day) and that would make us cousins of some kind, too, I'm sure. So I'd like to send you a little something about William and his family that I discovered earlier this week that I think you'll find fascinating if you don't already know about it...a great resource on the historic Swain Family.

If you'd like to receive that email, just let me know where I might send this information.

Now I'm going to go tuck myself in with the book I'd picked up today to read before I'd found your terrific blog about it... The World Rushed In! It certainly did!