5/19/2011

Restaurant Review - Town Talk II

My friends have a GREAT barbecue place, why would I want to eat anywhere else?  I have been eating at Town Talk II ever since they opened, but lately I haven’t been getting down to that neighborhood as much – I ate there yesterday and it reminded me of what a great little treasure this place is.

I've been telling people about Town Talk II for years.  I joke with my students that if they'll just go there and eat, and tell the proprietor they heard about the place in "traffic school," they'll get extra good service!  What they don't know is that everyone gets "extra good service" at Town Talk!  You don't have to beg for it.

The barbecue is great – I’ve tried most of their offerings at different times and the meat is lean, the sauce is tasty.  I especially enjoy the ribs – done just right and the meat falling-off-the-bone-tender. But one of the things I like best about Town Talk II is the kind of a place it is.  The owner is Mr. Chris Rideaux -- he and his family run the place in memory of their Grandfather who had a similar establishment in old downtown Phoenix years ago – before most any of you lived here.

The recipes are old family recipes, which come from the southern Louisiana Creole tradition.  The side dishes shine here – the daily “specials” in particular.  Each day holds a different surprise – my favorites are the jambalaya, the fried cabbage and the dirty rice. Only one is available each day, and each one is worth trying.  I almost forgot to mention the best one of all -- the Black-Eyed Pea Salad.  I love that one so much I stole their recipe!

Everyone who comes in the door seems to be a friend.  Chris catches up with each person as they come by.  The place is fairly compact, so it is almost like eating in a friend’s kitchen.  Photos of the old town in Louisiana adorn the walls, along with some reviews and a map of old Phoenix.

I took a photo of my plate yesterday… let me tell you about that.  The plate looks pretty “worked over,” huh?  Yeah, well I got so excited when Chris served it that I lost sight of the goal and ate ¾ of it before I remembered to take the photo.  That kind of thing happens occasionally; I’ll do better next time, I swear.  What was there before I flew through it was pulled pork, sliced hot links, slaw and the daily special, southern-style greens.  I sprinkled a little peppered vinegar on those, just like they do down-home.  I topped it all off with some warm blackberry cobbler and ice cream, but that was pushing it some as I really had no room for it.

You can find my friend Chris Rideaux and his barbecue “joint” on 19th Avenue, just north of Osborn on the east side of the street.  The restaurant is just north of the grade school on the corner. 

Town Talk II is open Monday to Saturday, 11 AM to 7 PM, at 3509 N. 19th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85015.  Closed on Sundays.

If you wish to order ahead, call 602-234-4745.  Tell ‘em Bob sent you. Here’s a link to their web page if you want to see the menu, or read a little more about them in their own words! 





No comments: