6/29/2011

Uncle Bob’s New World's Best Apple Pie

My pie looks like this...
I'm not modest about my apple pie. I’ve been making them for quite a few years – and I have used several recipes over time.  For a long time I was making them using only Granny Smith apples, but a couple years ago I started experimenting a little.  The lemon has always been a personal touch for me – my sister and I have been “competing” for years on who makes the best apple pie – she doesn’t add lemon to hers.  I think the fresh lemon zest adds a brightness to the taste you don’t get otherwise.  I have to say, I don’t think either one of us has been a loser in the argument.  But don’t tell HER. 

Here’s my latest recipe for some of the best apple pie I’ve ever tasted! 

I use…
  • 2 lg Granny Smiths
  • 2 lg McIntosh
  • 1 lg Golden Delicious
  • ¼ c brown sugar
  • 1 c sugar
  • ¼ c flour, more or less
  • 1½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • ⅛ to ¼ tsp very-fine minced lemon zest
  • 3 TB butter, cut into small pieces
  • 9 inch pie pastry, for a double crust
I sometimes use the Never-fail pie pastry recipe.  It's almost fool-proof. Other times, just your simple, basic Betty Crocker pie pastry recipe.

Make the pie...

Peel and slice the apples – place in a large bowl. Mix ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 cup sugar, ¼ cup flour (more or less), 1½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, a small amount of very fine lemon zest (1/8 to 1/4 tsp is plenty).  Whisk thoroughly to blend, then toss the sugar and spice mixture into the apples so that all are evenly coated.

Arrange the apple mixture in the prepared pie plate and pastry, cut the 3 TB butter in pieces on top of the apples, then arrange the top pastry over everything and seal edges (don’t be careless about sealing the edges, or you'll end up with lots of sugary liquid scorching all over your oven). 


This will be a tall pie – make certain you make the top crust large enough to cover the filling. Make several slits in the top for the steam to vent.  Brush the top crust with an egg or milk wash, then sprinkle it with sugar. Or whatever.

I’ve made the mistake a few times in making the top crust too thick.  Veteran pie makers will be familiar with this and will know how to avoid this error – the result is that the top crust bakes stiffly “in place” and the apples underneath sink away as they cook – leaving air above the filling in the finished pie – like a big cave.  Boo!  Hiss! 

For anyone who is new to pie-making, the cure is to make certain you roll the crust fairly thin so it conforms to the top of the filling as it bakes, and before it becomes a roof!

Bake the pie on an old cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 375 for 65 minutes, or until done.  Shield the edges of the pastry with thin strips of aluminum foil or a pastry edge-shield if needed to prevent over-browning.

Remove to wire rack to cool.  

No comments: