5/27/2012

Changing the oil on a ZZR1200

The Blue Beast - Oiled Up and Ready to Go...
My first thought was “how much trouble is this going to be?”  Biker’s Bay only charges about $90 for a synthetic oil change and they check other stuff too – and the oil alone for a change cost me over $50.  Sorry, but it does not pay to use cheap oil in (what was) a $14,000 motorcycle.  Not when that oil serves several purposes.

My first question was “does the fairing have to come off to accomplish an oil change?”  The answer is no – it doesn’t.  I did a complete (and fairly easy) job tonight without even loosening a fairing screw.  No problem.

Free advert for Lucas...
So step one – and the hardest part – finding suitable oil.  I won't use automotive oil in my bikes -- there really is a difference in oils made specifically for motorcycle use. Blue normally takes 10w-40 and that’s available all over town.  But 10w-40 is limited to use up to about 104 F (40 C) and the desert around here exceeds that almost every day between June and October.  So the alternative is 15w-50 or 20w-50 and those grades are a little harder to find.  I finally got some Lucas 20w-50 at an O’Reilly’s near here – but it took looking through 4 or 5 different stores including Wal-Marto’s to find it.  I already had the requisite filter on the shelf – I bought several as it is the same one I used on Old Yaller, the ZR7S I used to have.  I changed the oil in that one about every 1000 to 1500 miles, so I bought them in bulk.  I got my oil drain pan out, a socket set (you'll need a 17 mm socket), a rag or two, some degreaser, a funnel, and a fender cover or something to lay on the concrete.  I grabbed a CH-6012 filter off the shelf and got down with it…

I am embarrassed to say that the oil I just drained has been in the engine for about two years.  I guess it looked really good for two-year-old oil but jeesh…  It didn't have that many miles on it but we won't be letting things go that long next time, now will we...

Side View
Rear drain plug and the filter assy
I removed the rear drain plug and the filter assembly and I let the oil drain for a while during which time I had a cold one.  Those who know me well understand this means a Diet Coke… 

Then, there is a second drain plug (third if you count the filter assembly) further forward, up underneath the cowl (starboard side as you sit on the bike). There is a lower side port in the fairing through which you can see this bolt/drain-plug and you can reach up from underneath with your ratchet to get on it.  I had to use a longer extension for that one.  Take a look at this one and mark its position well – it is very hard to see its location under there when it comes time to put it back in place if you haven't been careful about that.

Forward drain plug

So while this one drains for a while, I take the filter assembly over to the work bench and pull it apart. I used some spray solvent on it to clean it up and replaced the o-rings on the shaft and the mounting plate. Then you re-assemble it by sliding the mounting plate over the center shaft, dropping the spring and the washer over the center shaft, push the new element down onto those, and set the metal top flange over the element.  Smear some oil on the o-rings – and it is ready to go back on the bike; piece of cake.  

Forward drain plug
Replace the two drain bolts and you’re ready to fill it with oil again.  I try to take care not to over-tighten anything.  I go about hand–tight plus one little bit extra and that’s it.  A torque wrench and a little knowledge about the specs would be a good thing here…  don’t overdo it.

I added four quarts to start, then started the engine for a few moments to move the oil back into the places it needed to go.  Once that happened, I shut him down and added the last little bit of oil needed to bring the level up to the proper point on the sight-glass (make sure the bike is level).  Take care – add only a little at a time until it is about ½ to ¾ between the low line and high line on the sight gauge.  Do not overfill it or the Earth will tilt off its axis and careen into the Sun.  Old Blue took a little over 4 quarts total today - not even close to 5 quarts. 

That’s it.  Clean up the oil you spilled all over the floor, throw away your trash and wipe off your tools and put them back where they belong.  Go wash your hands with some Goop or Lava and feel like you accomplished something worthwhile.  Or better yet, take the brute for a spin up the road and see how great it feels to have new, slippery oily-oil in your scoot! 

It's spring, you know?  It's time to go for a ride.
Just keep it between the fence posts!  

Updated April 14, 2013
  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did oil change in the late evening , dark with a flashlight. .. the above made it easy... Thank you....

Uncle Bob said...

You are most welcome! Thanks for your comment. Bob

Unknown said...

Thanks this was very helpful for my first oil change.