7/29/2010

The dangers of living to eat

Some would say that what I eat is garbage but I disagree (vehemently)! I only eat good stuff! Like today for example...

I started with a 1/2 roast beef sandwich on my own fresh whole wheat sourdough, with a tomato slice and my home-made cholesterol-free mayonnaise, with a glass of vegetable juice! Then later, I ate an apple and a banana... gotta have my fruit you know. So far so good right?

I struggled with what to get for supper... I was going to make a chile relleno casserole the other day, and I got a bunch of chiles but burned them to cinders because when I put them on the grill I forgot to take them off again... After 45 minutes.... heavy sigh.

So today I thought maybe I'd do that, but then I ran across my recipe for REAL chile rellenos... and I thought... you know... I never made THOSE before and I DO have a little time today so...

I got five more fresh un-charred green chiles down at Eddie's Place and I roasted them for a reasonable amount of time. I stuffed them into a paper bag and let them bask in their own steam for a time, then peeled and cut them each slightly and tried to get the seeds out at least. I de-stemmed all but one -- I thought it might be easier to handle that way.

Then I made little cheese torpedos out of cream cheese, shredded cheddar and jack, and inserted one torpedo into each chile -- dusted the little puppies with flour and put them in the freezer to get good and solid (15 minutes). Meanwhile, I mixed up some egg yolks with flour and salt, and whipped the whites into a frenzy until they just wouldn't frenzy anymore (stiff, stiff peaks!)  And I heated up about 3 cups of canola oil in a cast iron pot.  You dip the almost frozen stuffed chile into the combined fluffy egg batter, coat it muy bueno, then deep fry 'em until golden.

I served them atop some smoky white beans simmered with tomatoes, onion and garlic, with sour cream and chopped cilantro on top. I ate two of the damned things. So much for limiting quantities today. And I was doing so well, too. But they were SO good!  The egg batter fried up very light and the sour cream on top with just a touch of fresh chopped cilantro -- I am convinced that in a former life I must've been a Mexican farmer (although I doubt they had chile rellenos like these).  There's always tomorrow I guess. Guess I shall go wash all the dishes I dirtied up...

Hmm. I was looking at what I wrote here. I am always struggling with my diet -- I live to eat you know, rather than eat to live. Just eating to live would take some of the fun out of living I think. Maybe if I put this where I can see it on my blog whenever I look at it, it can be a reminder of "My Struggle."   I really need to get my diabetes under control.  I didn't mention I had some home-made vanilla rum pudding too...  Sigh.

By the way, los rellenos can be reheated the next day in a toaster oven -- and they're great the 2nd time around too!

No comments: