4/01/2011

An Encomium for Otto - Bob buys a new Chevy

A Chevy in the Sun
I have been horse trading this week… My truck was showing its age a bit, and even though it was still reliable, the gasoline mileage was killing me with gas at almost $3.50 per gallon here in the neighborhood and around the state.


I realize that is not high when compared to some other parts of the world, but before you say “poor baby” remember that a 4.7 liter V-8 motor is capable of only about 16 mpg on a good day around town. It was definitely time to give up that irresponsible luxury. A good portion of my new car payment is going to be covered by my gas savings!


There were other considerations as well – a vehicle with 165,000 miles on it is not going to be reliable forever and the market and economy being what it is right now, this was a spectacular time to purchase a new vehicle, both in terms of interest rates for car loans, but also in the willingness of the car dealer (and GM) to make a deal.


I already knew what I wanted, at least almost.  I had been considering what I would buy for many months. I have owned Fords and Chrysler products – this time I thought I whould give a GM product a try. I considered the Silverado (same gas consumption problem), the Malibu, the Colorado (better mileage than a Silverado, but not by much) and the Chevy HHR – a PT Cruiser clone with a GM badge. I looked at the Impala, but they are too big and ungainly for me; an Impala wallows down the road, much like a Crown Vic.  I would have considered a Pontiac or an Oldsmobile -- in my opinion GM killed the wrong brands!  As things are, I do like Chevies.

I had pretty much decided on the HHR, due to its utility (after all, I am a TRUCK kinda guy…) and the HHR seemed like a good compromise between car and truck. When the bank offered me a 3.9% loan I started seriously shopping. I did this almost entirely online. This is the way I do almost all of my shopping these days. I did consider a buying service through the credit union or perhaps Costco, but things went so well the way I started that I never made the first attempt in that direction.


I didn't get the HHR after all -- this Malibu was SO pretty!  It took me quite a while to decide, I have to say that.  Since then, I have regretted this a little bit.  I just drove a rental HHR about 4,100 miles and I really like them. But I did get a quality car that will provide great service over the next ten years. I am pleased with the new vehicle.


I am not pleased with the sales/service I received from the dealer, Sands Chevrolet in Phoenix. They have never, after repeated requests, fulfilled everything they agreed to when I purchased the vehicle.  I do not know if this was simply incompetence, or whether there was intentional dishonesty involved.  Maybe it was both. They also pulled some crap with the financing that irritated me.  So I no longer do business with them and I do not recommend them to anyone else.  For me, they were more trouble than they were worth, and no amount of discounted price can make up for that.




Jeneviéve
My long-time friend Otto the road truck is now part of my history. I’ll miss that Dodge, even though it was always the vehicle I loved to hate. Otto and I saw a lot of road in the last ten years and he was always a reliable companion.


I also traded my yellow motorcycle as part of this deal – and as it was my favorite of the two that I owned, that is going to take some getting used to. There was never a sweeter riding two-wheeler I ever rode. Of course, Big Blue has its charms as well. Things change.


Do you know this car has her own phone number! What's up with THAT? One more photo... I think I will name this vehicle Jeneviéve!  She's pretty... she's golden... I think she's going to be a good friend.  It seems to fit her.




Update JAN 2014:  My car is now almost three years old.  She has about 43,000 trouble-free miles on her.  There have been no malfunctions of any kind. Even the OEM tires and battery are still OK (although the tires are nearing the end of their useful tread-life, maybe have another 10,000 miles left in them, or maybe not).  I still think I'd have been happier with the HHR, but I cannot complain about this vehicle in any way.  The vehicle looks good, rides comfortably, way more comfortably than any foreign vehicle I've ever owned, gets great gas mileage (34-36 highway) and has been perfect in reliability.  This is my third traditional "American" big three vehicle in a row (with like results, one a Ford, one a Dodge) -- and I can't think of ANY reason why anyone would buy "foreign" when American manufacturers build vehicles with this kind of quality.

2 comments:

Ron said...

Congratulations on your new Jeneviéve, and your amazing blog as well. It's a rare thing to see so much original content of such high-quality. Really excellent! I never noticed how much you look like Grandpa Pruitt.

Thank you for blogging - don't ever stop.

Uncle Bob said...

Thanks Ron! Now I'll probably have to drive up there to see you! Bob