9/29/2013

Suzy Bogguss in Concert

Waiting for Suzy
So...  Suzy Bogguss in concert!  I had a seat very close to the stage.  She started on time and sang for almost two hours without a break, at the acoustically wonderful Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) auditorium in north Phoenix.

Her accompaniment was lead guitarist Paul Kramer and bassist Charlie Chadwick.  Suzy played rhythm guitar as I think most lead singers do.  She sang many songs I knew, from Aces mostly which is the one album I owned until now. She also included several traditional American folk songs that everyone knew all from her most recent album - in 2011. One she didn't play that I would have loved to hear was "Music on the Wind" from "Aces."

Her live performance "voice" is a bit more "clipped" than you get in the studio recordings -- her voice doesn't soar quite as much in live sets.  If you are familiar with the limitations of live performance I don't need to explain why.  But no matter -- it was wonderful and I loved every minute of it.  It was like having a great performance in your own living room and Suzy Boggus has one of the purest, sweetest singing voices you've ever heard. This lady can sing and her back-ups were top-notch.


At another show...
After the concert and the encore, she said she'd meet us "all" outside the theater -- she'd stay as long as we did.  To me, she's a "Big Star"  and I have NEVER seen any performer do that in my entire life.  She stayed until she shook the last hand, posed for the last photo, hugged the last kid.  I know, 'cause I watched.  One thing that surprised me was that the audience was a predominantly older group.  I guess it shouldn't, since she's been around for a while -- just like those of us who went to see and hear her last night.  I feel sorry for those who don't like this kind of music -- tuneful, country, sweet, folksy, and decidedly American.

What a warm human being and a class act.  I'm really kind of irritated though.  Now I have to buy a lot more of her music.  Just can't help it.

No comments: